Friday, February 24, 2012

Going Bananas

I love the produce guys in our local Ingle's grocery store. After bananas have been on the shelf for a couple of days, they bag them up in these great bags and sell the entire bag for $1.49. This is an especially good deal considering that bananas usually cost around $0.59 per pound and this bag is usually between 5 and 6 pounds of bananas.




Whenever I find these bags of treasure sitting out in the produce section, I grab them all!

The bags sit on my counter for a couple of days as the bananas are usually still a bit green and quite suitable for eating. After the green is gone from the stems, I peel and freeze all but one bag. I put three bananas to one quart freezer bag because this the the amount needed to make our favorite banana bread. This is also the amount we use in a family size run of smoothie mix.

The one remaining bag of bananas sits on the counter for a few more days and is slowly used in banana bread and banana muffins. Yum!!

No comments: